Academic Resources for English Students
The Top Twenty Errors
The Top Twenty Errors (formerly of St. Martin's Handbook fame). Students should strive to edit their own work to remove these from their writing.
Purdue Online Writing Lab
We recommend Purdue's OWL site for reference in research, as well as general help in many aspects of English mechanics, reading, and writing. The following pages will be of particular importance for English students of all levels at New Hope.
- Mechanics, including grammar topics and exercises
- MLA Style Guide
- Preventing Plagiarism
- Writing in Literature
- Writing About Poetry
- Preventing Plagiarism (OWL)
- Plagiarism Tutorial, including a pre-and post-test
- Fill in the information at the end of the test to email the results to your tutor. All New Hope tutors' emails are email@example.com
Finding Books and Articles For Research
- Google Books often has previews of multiple pages of recent and older books.
- Amazon.com often gives you a preview of a number of pages, too.
- JSTOR is a database for finding academic journal articles. You need to gain access through a local college or library.
- Boston Public Library Access. Click "Get or Renew Your eCard" and follow the process to activate your free account.
Classical Literature, writing
- Here is a handy outline/study guide with questions.
- Here is another one. This may be a better one to start with because it has some preliminary definitions.