Algebra I (offered in 2018-19)
A full first-year algebra course
Focus on building a solid grasp of the fundamentals of algebra
Prerequisite: Mastery of basic math skills, possibly including completion of a Pre-Algebra course (see full list below)
Assessment Test and Parent Questionnaire required prior to beginning (see below for links)
This high school tutorial will introduce students to the full range of topics in algebra, including: real numbers, the language of algebra, solving equations and inequalities, linear functions, polynomials and radicals, quadratic equations, rational expressions and equations.
This class will take students on a mathematical journey beyond the basics and into the "unknowns." Students who are comfortable with their understanding of math topics studied through middle school should be in a good position to undertake a study of algebra. Good homework habits will be necessary in order for them to achieve mastery in this class, which is a cornerstone for other required high school science and math courses.
Following is a list of prerequisites for Algebra 1; the ones in the "critical" list are often inadequate in homeschooled students seeking to enter this class:
- Basic multiplication facts with some speed (through 12’s)
- Order of operations
- Fractions: performing all 4 operations; converting to mixed numbers and decimals
- Decimals: performing operations; rounding; conversion to fractions; terminating vs. non-terminating
- Setting up proportions (e.g. in word problems)
- Exponents: evaluating; performing operations
- Area, perimeter/circumference, volume
- Unit conversions (simple)
- Computing simple averages
- Working with the concept of rates (e.g. price per lb., speed, etc.)
- Word problems with any of the above
Assessment and Questionnaire
An assessment test of basic math skills and a parent questionnaire are required before students may enter this course.
Algebra I: Foerster Algebra I, Classics Edition, Hardcover
Publication Date: May 15, 2006 | ISBN-10: 0131657089 | ISBN-13: 978-0131657083