(Offered in 2017-18)
Meets once a week (Thursdays)
Students in this class will develop thinking and reasoning skills while doing discovery hands on experiments and projects. The content is vital for understanding the world we live in and is not addressed in many high school or college science classes if you follow the typical Biology, Chemistry, Physics and either AP Biology, Chemistry or Physics path. This is the time to learn it. We will look at some of the major content in earth science such as:
- Weather and climate properties of water and air,
- Water cycle, clouds, storms, tornados, hurricanes and Coriolis effect
- Plate Tectonics, structure of the earth, earthquakes and volcanoes,
- The Sun, moon and Earth structure and movements (seasons),
- The Solar System, stars and galaxies, basic stargazing
- The Rock Cycle, basic Rocks and minerals
Some of the planned labs are:
- Making a cloud in a bottle
- Crushing a soda can with air pressure
- Water pressure bottle rockets
- Fire tornado demonstration
- Hold water in an unsealed jar upside down with a balloon
- Star gazing night with a telescope
MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE AT NEW HOPE
The aim of middle school science is to capture student’s interest through inquiry and investigation and encourage them to develop the skills necessary to be successful in science. Regardless of interest or natural ability all students can enjoy, be inspired by and succeed in science and middle school is a great place to start!
Middle school science is designed to immerse the middle school student in the process of “doing science” as well as focusing to prepare the middle school child for science at higher levels. Middle school sciences courses will hinge on doing and developing.
DOING - Middle school science provides students with an opportunity to explore their world in a safe, small-group setting that promotes both active, independent learning as well as cooperative learning. At New Hope we believe that science should be fun and hands-on. We use an inquiry-based method, where students are challenged to ask questions and use evidence to answer them (NSTA).
DEVELOPING - For students to be successful it’s important for them to begin to cultivate personal study habits that fit their learning style. Middle school students need to be given tools that will help them move towards independence.
- learn basic organizational skills.
- be encouraged to practice good time management skills.
- be encouraged to find solutions to their problems.
- practice a variety of study techniques that promote good habits.
- participate in independent study.
- experience evaluation in a variety of forms.
We believe that it’s important for young scientists to be aware that science topics aren’t applied in isolation and therefore shouldn’t be studied in isolation. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) is a national initiative to prepare students to study STEM fields in college and pursue STEM-related careers. It’s important to begin exposing students to STEM integration at a young age and allow them to see how these areas are so closely related.
WHY CPO SCIENCE?
CPO Middle School Science books are fun, engaging and informative. They present topics in a clear and easy to understand manner, offer great mid-week support to our students and provide our tutors with a solid, scientific framework to build their courses on. CPO also provides STEM integration as well as excellent inquiry-based science activities to use in the classroom.